Saturday 9 July 2011

Art?


Well this is turning into a very interesting week. Unfortunately I am finding that typing on the computer blocks my creativity! Pen in hand my thoughts can freely transfer them selves to paper while the act of typing, requiring so much concentration, interrupts my thoughts but here we go.IMG_2676|Ian Bottle|62366252@N08
This week I am having a staycation, Hubby is working so I am indulging my fantasy life and am embracing a new mission each day, things that interest me but I seldom do.
Yesterday was an Art day. When I was a child I always enjoyed painting and drawing, I still do to some extent although bound by time I indulge more in sticking and Gluing. At 11 years old My Dad wanted me to go to art college when I finished school, this was not to be, I lack staying power and am far to easily distracted by anything that happens to stray into my peripheral vision. In this case the distraction was my parents divorce and a new, very jealous Stepmother, but that is a tale of cruelty, manipulation and betrayal to be told another day.
To indulge my creative side,which I still have, I cook. The process of starting with some very plain-looking ingredients and creating Yummy meals and cakes gives me great satisfaction.I plan how they will look, carefully placed and displayed on a particular plate and view the food from many angles to ensure that every aspect feeds the eye before presenting the goody's to friends and family to eat. I always hope that before they tuck in they will appreciate the creativity and heart that has gone into what they are about to devour and that the taste lives up to the promise of the eye.
I deeply regret not pursuing an artistic/creative life with more determination but we all play the hand we are dealt don't we? So yesterday I played "Art Critic"
I visited the Turner contemporary Gallery Margate  on an extremely blustery Tuesday,The Sun creating Shafts of piercingly bright light as is fought its way between the deep heavy rain clouds that plagued the morning. These must be the kind of sky's that inspired Turner in his day with their contrasting moods and depth. As we drove into Margate one of these shafts of light broke through and captured the new gallery that stood proud and tall on the seafront, as the light played on its sharp smooth surface it was reminiscent of the white cliffs of Dover as seen on many occasions by cross-channel booze cruisers. Not sure whether this is deliberate but highly appropriate for the Kent coast, enter Dame Vera Lynn!   http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolradio/subjects/history/ww2clips/songs/white_cliffs
I am sure there was a guide available but I have decided to share my own views and interpretations of the exhibits. Not knowing a thing about art this is perhaps foolish but more honest?
First, Turners painting of a volcano. The Eruption of the Souffrier Mountains. This is not a particularly staggering painting untill you realise that Turner did not actually witness this eruption. His depiction has been created from his personal knowledge of landscapes and geography, coupled with a description of the eruption given by another. The darkness created by volcanic plumes of ash and smoke, the red yellow heat created by the spewing Lava and the searing red globules of exploding rock that sizzle as they plummet to the sea are a glowing, menacing backdrop to the terrified boat people fleeing in the gloomy foreground of this painting.
Conrad Shawcross's installation surrounded by a subtle constant humming note was at first puzzling, I could make no connection to it but found it soothing and strangely hypnotic. As the jointed arms on his windmill like light machine turned their synchronous fingers eventually met and created a burst of light that in my mind's eye represented the birth of the universe and the moving light creating multiple ever-changing shadows of the physical representation of his sound. Was this the sound of creation? I think a second viewing of this may be needed now I have had time to think on it.
Russle Crottys Globes where tantalizingly attractive. His soft but vibrant natural colours where haunting, showing landscapes as if seen through a fish eyed lens.It was a little frustrating as an art novice that the curator in this room was able to explain little about the artists choice of materials for these,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouache which would have increased my appreciation of the skill involved. Upon closer examination the texture on these large suspended pieces was provided by script detailing the artists thoughts and views of the places depicted on the Spheres. Tantalizing? well I had an overwhelming desire to stroke these almost sexual  pieces as they floated in the room, resembling giant fish eggs gently floating in a pale clear ocean of light, an urge I obviously resisted but none the less made it an uncomfortable experience. Three words, quiet, desirable, ethereal.
Ellen Harveys Arcadia was a delight. Her use of the dark and Mirrors in this exibit where exciting to the senses and created a stillness that is often found by the sea, The backlighting strongly reminiscent of the sunlight glinting on breaking waves. Upon closer examination, the clean linework mimicking the strokes from the older illustrations subtly posted around the shed, transferred happily from the old to the new. The Mirrors placed around the room when viewed from certain angled provided an illuminated vista of sea and coast reflecting images from the aposing walls giving a continuous surrounding experience.I do not know whether this was the artists intention but you became completely absorbed into the experience. Dazzling.
On Monday I visited Folkestone's triennial and some of its many Artworks, These I found imaginative and thought-provoking, during my visit I stumbled into a small exhibition which was a delight and on a "take home with you" scale, well worth a visit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUjGjXicPU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL Adored the Doggy pieces by Clive Soord  definitely captured essence of dog. A very accessible collection of sculptures and a very knowledgeable currator who animatedly talked us through the exhibition.
Today I think I may be a Baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment